Monday, October 05, 2009

my tired mind put to words 4 u tonight

I really don't get people these days. once upon a time "healthy" was whole wheat bread and eggs! now it's "whole wheat flakes with added chocolate flavor and a hint of marshmallow!" .......huh? or the kid's commercial for nutella, "tired of battling every day with your child during breakfast time? pull out the nutella chocolate flavor they can spread onto their bread, it's a healthy and fun way to start their day off with!" since when was chocolate thrown into the healthy corner? I don't know about you, but to me this seems so annoying. so many kids are growing up these days with mindsets that chocolate granola bars are healthy because they have a special fiber in them to keep them energized..or whatever they say. I can't go into a store without spending a good few minutes trying to find something in my eye of "healthy". crackers, veggie sticks, cheese pretzels. something good and wholesome my little son, who's future I plan to try my best and help set a good mindset on things, can enjoy a little snack here and there.
don't get me wrong, I am no healthy eater. I will fight for the last dounut and jog in the rain for ice-cream, but at least when it comes to trying to eat healthy, I'll actually....eat something healthy!? seriously, what has this world come to?
you know how they say the world will end with a huge explosion of the sun or virus. hmm, maybe it won't. maybe, it'll all rot away from little sugar cubes that they so ignorantly eat thinking it's gunna boost their healthy living. yup.
with all that said and typed out in a few short minutes, i won't even pause to read what I just wrote here because I'll most likely erase it all and you won't have something stupid to read. and it being nearly 12 at night, I end here.

5 comments:

Lil said...

spot on! It must be so hard to keep kids healthy when they watch tv!!! an dthose nasty comercials. That's why we don't watch any, it makes us feel angry with all the lying!
We have that nutella ad too lol. The basic rule of thumb, if it doesn't grow on a tree or from the ground,or swim in the sea it ain't healthy. :)
I'm so glad my nephew isn't raised on sugar cubes! even if that's the only thing you do for him, you're a super star mom lol

Megumi Hirasawa said...

Excellent to hear a health conscious mum.
By the looks of Jason's birthday photos though, he'll enjoy sweets as he gets older ha.

There's this great book called "In the defense of food." It points out how society is gradually not eating real foods. For example, packaged cereals that emphasise "fortified calcium, extra fiber, all natural." which really is just a gimmick from the food industry to try to sell us more. We eat so much artificial stuff and even in baby foods (look at the nutrition value) loads of sugar is packed in there.
I like Lilia's rule of thumb, except in my case I wouldn't eat sea animals hehe.
What I'm trying to do is eat less packaged food. And instead eat foods in their natural form.

Happy healthy food searching

Chacha said...

yeah, ever since Jason started eating solids, I've become more picky about what sorta foods I'm buying. lol. it's good for me:)
but especially here in Canada, everything is sugar to them. it's really baaaaad.

Megumi Hirasawa said...

Actually, I think you have more of a chance of finding very healthy foods for Jason.
Western countries have more variety of organic foods (less expensive then Japan too). You should try shopping at a wholefoods store. You'll find some great stuff there! I try to eat predominately organic and as you know, I'm vegan so I really wish Japan had more vegan and organic products that weren't so expensive. I don't think Jason needs anything fancy anyway. Do you have a food processer?

Chacha said...

yeah we have one, but I don't use it these days because Jason likes to eat what we eat:)
Canada does have a lot of good healthy foods. I just miss the tofu and other whole wheat soba noodles I could easily by in Japan. tee hee