Thursday, November 12, 2009

shout out to moms

do any of you have any tips or ideas on schooling a 13 month old kid!?
okay that question seems a bit too far.
I've been doing flashcards and books with him since...months ago, but it's always been a short 20 mins because he'll be on his chair, tuning in, then the next wanting out and whining and running around and totally not into the schooling. I've read everywhere that at this stage it's good to use flashcards, etc,. but listen to your child and when he's had enough, let him. anyways, I've never really liked that idea, because it seems as though the kid would just be getting his way? and never learn to sit still and learn.
well anyways, need a bit of ideas here from any experienced mom:) whether the nonsense is true or not. and I can rest assured, or keep worrying for his schooling and push it anyways.
thaaaaaaaanks!!

3 comments:

lilia said...

I'm not a mom so I don't know how it works in real life, but at 13 months they really do have short attention spans for roughly 20 mins so a jump to flash cards, than a jump to exercising would be something he could handle. Teaching by music and dance is also good because they get to move and not sit still for too long. So quick but impactful, than onto the next activity, than maybe another round of flash cards so he gets breaks. In the end it really is about certain kids who like that sort of thing. Not all are made as bookworms and some just like to be out in the wild or dancing! LOL

Babylove said...

yeah, I totally concur with Lils. It's always about the individual kid. "School" at that young age is really about discovering, exploring & experiencing new ideas. Complicated sounding things like math is fun simple things like comparing, matching, tasting, sorting. Science is, cause & effect activities, looking, collecting, etc.. I think as long as you use all those little opportunities throughout the day to throw in little "educational" moments like pointing out, new vocab, colors, shapes, numbers, sounds etc etc... I don't think you can go wrong. Don't worry about meeting someone elses standards of edu. Do what works for your baby. Good luck!

Chacha said...

oh whew. haha, thanks so much. now I have like this heavy burden off my shoulders. I've been so discouraged with myself these days because of his wild self, and I just was worried he was one of those kids who would make learning hard.
lol.
now I can rest assured in knowing that if I don't get in flashcards it'll be ok. THANKS!